Securing a business’s data is one of the most important things they can do but it is often overlooked. This is unfortunate because the vast majority of threats are from within rather than from without. It has been estimated that a full 80% of successful attacks are due to weak or unsecured passwords. If you are looking to shore up the security on your server network, you may be looking for someone to provide you with IT consultation. Here are some tips for hiring the right it consulting services company.
- Look at what you can afford to spend. When you are thinking about how much you can afford to spend on an IT consulting company, you need to think about how much it would cost if you had to shut your operations down due to a breach in your computer security. Often when data is compromised, that is exactly what a business has to do. Having said that, you need to see what company you can hire, you need to know what you can actually afford to spend on these services. The prices tag that is associated with IT consultations varies from industry to industry and depends on the needs of the business. Go through your budget and decide what you will spend before you start interviewing companies.
- Talk to other business owners and managers you know. You know people who own and manage businesses in your industry. Talk to them about who they have hired to help with IT consultations. Ask how they found the company they use, what they think about the process and the company, and what they pay for the services they get. That can also help you determine your budget. The best way to find good services and products is to get a recommendation from someone you know and trust.
- Do an internal audit of your network and decide what you need. Before you can find an IT support company to help you with your network and your other IT needs, you need to be clear on what those needs are. Different businesses have different needs. Some companies are large enough to have an in-house IT department that can handle all of their needs. If that does not describe you, you still need to know what you need. This may take an IT consultation of its own if you are not sure where to start when it comes to finding the right IT support company, you may need to spend some time learning about your options.
- Make sure they understand your industry and your specific needs. Different industries have different requirements for their data and the way it is secured. If you manage or own a medical or dental practice, you have a whole set of rules and regulations with which you will need to comply that other industries do not have to worry about. There is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) that includes strict rules on health information. If you have to comply with HIPAA and you suffer a breach, you can be charged a fine of $50,000 (that is if fewer than 500 records are involved). When you are talking to people about IT consultations, you need to make sure they are familiar with what you do and what rules you have to follow.
- Make sure they will be available when you need them. Not all businesses are open 24 hours a day and seven days a week but you need your network and your data to be protected all of the time. Hackers do not take weekends and holidays off. You need to know you can call upon your IT support company when you need help and they will be there for you.
- Go with a local company. There are things that can be done from a distance but it is nice to be able to meet face to face with your IT support firm. This can also be important if you need support services for the people in your business and need someone to make visits to your place of business.
These tips will help you hire the right IT support company.